Sunday 11 March 2012

IMM: Appropriation & Reinterpretation

My latest project for my Ideas, Meanings and Materials module at CCCU is entitled 'Appropriation & Reinterpretation'.  This basically means taking someone else's ideas and making them your own, or changing the context of something in another way.

I began by looking at Andy Warhol's Campbell's Soup, and then found an appropriation of this by 'Banksy' but using a Tesco Value soup can.

I wanted to continue the appropriation by using other brands, and by scrunching up wrappers.  Here is one of my paintings of a scrunched soup wrapper, along with some etchings of the same thing.

 In painting I combined my appropriation of soup cans with the composition of Wayne Thiebaud's Three Strawberry Shakes, also taking inspiration from some of his colour choices.
Here is the oil painting that I produced:

In printing I was also inspired by some etchings by Morandi; I really liked his use of cross hatching to get different tones.  I appropriated this and produced this sketch and etching:


I then layered up this etching over some images of tin cans (including that of Warhol's Campbell Soup) using a Chine Colle technique.


Finally I combined all my efforts in order to produce this:


No comments:

Post a Comment